Monday, July 9, 2012

Change in Plans

How many sayings can you think of that talk about change of plans?
More than likely, too many.
One thing I have learned for sure in this journey is expect the unexpected and be aware that plans may change at the drop of a hat.
I had understood that this Wednesday we would be breaking out Gavyn and Veronika!!!
I marked it on my calendar, I went out and bought a LARGE bag of diapers and wipes, I had been thinking of sleeping arrangements and how we would work out baths since neither of them are sitting up yet. I went out and bought some baby food and spoons. I was ready!! :)
Today, I was told that we will pick them up on Monday the 16th. I had not been expecting that!
Not only did that leave me with a huge bag of diapers that I had hoped would have been halfway used up, but it also left me with the added expense of visiting the orphanage for that many more days. ($60 per day to visit once a day for about an hour each child) So that just added $300 that I was not expecting. Not only that but there is NO WAY I can carry two children, luggage, a stroller, carseat, AND a huge bag of diapers. Heck the bag was so big it was almost as heavy as the babies.
So I will donate the diapers to the orphanage and then need to go out and buy a smaller bag of diapers.
I understand the reasoning behind waiting. I do. I don't like it, but I do understand it.
The purpose of waiting is that Veronika and Gavyn will be able to continue their normal routine every day until they leave the orphanage. Their bodies are use to a certain schedule. They have only been exposed to the germs of their orphanage.
If you have ever put your child into daycare, or if you remember when they first started school, I am sure you remember how sick they were that first year. While Veronika and Gavyn have been around children their whole life so far, it has been the SAME children, the SAME everything. When we take them out of the orphanage they will suddenly be exposed to TONS of germs they have never been exposed to before. By going from the orphanage, then to the train, then to the Embassy, then to the Medical appointment, we will reduce the risk of them being sick during the medical. Because the LAST thing we want is for them to be sick at the medical and then for us to get held up  and not be able to fly out!
So that is how it will be. The orphanage (Gavyn's) REALLY needs diapers anyway, so this will be a God Send for them. (They actually had some diapers hanging to dry outside today - and I am not talking about the kind that are washable... no, I am talking regular disposable diapers!!)
Earlier someone asked if we had all we needed to be fully funded, well, until I found out the news today, I could have said yes. In light of needing to pay for almost another whole week of visits to the orphanage, then the answer is no. We are now short $300.
Praying that no more monkeys throw any wrenches!

Gavyn is doing better, his breathing is still thick and you can hear the congestion in his chest but it is getting better! Of that I am SO thankful. When we first started visiting him his feet were in horrible condition! He had scales all over his feet and they were a horrible yellow/green color. I started rubbing (with a little pressure but not enough to make him uncomfortable at all) his feet with a baby wipe at every single visit. Then I would put baby lotion on his feet. I can happily report that they are 90% better then they were! So happy about this. He still loves to fall asleep in my arms. It is the sweetest thing, I will hold him close and just stroke the side of his face and he will give me the most content smile in the world (not his yahh!! mom is tickling me smile, but just an ahhhh this is the life, kind of smile). Then he will snuggle in and just start closing his eyes. I am so happy to be able to cuddle with him like this.


Veronika is either teething a lot right now or she is needing something from me to hold on to. When we first started visiting she happily went to the nannies and I would be able to take the toys that we brought back with me so they did not get mixed up with the other toys and get lost. The last two days, she has screamed and cried when we try to put the toys away so she can go to her nannies, so I have just let her keep them with her. I can hear her cry after I  leave every day now.
Guess what!!! Tomorrow is her birthday!!! She turns ONE tomorrow!! Sadly, it will be in an orphanage, but I do have a few little things planned. I asked where I can get a party hat and was told they do not have a store like that, so I have gotten a bit of paper and some markers and I am making her a hat myself. We will see if she will wear it long enough for me to get a picture of her wearing it.
She has never eaten solid foods with a spoon, only a bottle, so tomorrow I will take in a spoon and a jar of baby food and let her have her first bite of food from a spoon! I am hoping that she likes it :)
Once we get home, we will start working with Veronika and Gavyn and teaching them how to eat solid foods. Then in September on Gavyn's birthday, we will have a double birthday party for both of them so they can both enjoy their cake.


And now for the pictures :)






No comments:

Post a Comment