Saturday, January 26, 2013

Worries and wonders...

Most of what I write here is all positive. It is all upbeat, not because I am sugar coating, but just because our little ones ARE doing that well. But like all moms, I do have my worries.
I just wish everyone could see how perfect they are and would take the time to get to know them.





I worry about when they are older, if other kids will be mean to them.
I worry if I should homeschool them or put them in public school.
I wonder if we should spend part of the summer doing extra school type work so they can always stay at the same education level as their peers, or if I should just let them be kids and enjoy their summer.
I wonder about their future; if they will find love, if they will live with us forever, live in their own place, get married.
I worry about people not treating them fairly, or with respect.
I worry they will be told they can not vote.
I wonder if they will ever drive a car.
I wonder if they will go to college.

Because in the end, I only want what is best for them, I want them to be happy, to enjoy life, to live each day to the fullest.

When I asked my husband what he thought he said,
He wonders how they will see themselves
He wonders if we will be able to teach them to be happy with themselves so they never feel they have to conform to anything other than who they are
He wonders if they will find someone really special, like Mark and I have found in each other.
He wonders if we put them in the public school system if they will get bullied and how will they deal with that.
What situations are we going to have to face, and help Veronika and Gavyn with, because of other people's ignorance.

When I asked if there was anything else he worried or wondered about he replied that there was nothing else he worried about, because he knows that with our love and support they will thrive.


 I know that there is no one who could love them more than we do, that we will support them 100%, and that we will do everything we can to help them have the best life ever. What we can not do, is change other people, but maybe, just maybe, we can educate them... because kids and adults with Down syndrome, are more alike than different.


 

And in case you have not heard.... there is a NEW R word.... the word is Respect!

2 comments:

  1. I hear you. Take heart in all these success stories; your babies can be the next! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebecca, I have and continue to worry about these same issues. But, I do my best by Tori, and pray that God will take care of her! Veronika and Gavyn are Blessed to have you! Also, being younger helps as things HAVE changed(mostly for the better)..their future is bright.

    ReplyDelete